Friday, April 16, 2010

The Contrast (and Other Musings)

There is a lot going on in my mind. None of it is particularly eloquent or organized, so I apologize right off the bat for the disorderliness of this blog. I'm not even going to attempt to put my thoughts into a logical order. I'll do plenty of that when I start my American Lit papers.

Here I go...

Today, a lot of good things happened:
1. I sat out in the sun and got a tan (read: burn).
2. I finished my 5th book of the new year - a play, called The Contrast by Royall Tyler. More on that later.
3. I bought my ticket to Utah. It's actually happening! In one month!
4. I chatted with the coolest person on the West Side. :)
5. I realized that I didn't have to write a 15-page paper for my Honors class, but that I could, instead, write a short story for my final project. Score!
6. I was asked to speak at Stake Conference. Can you say 'incredible honor'?
7. I was visited by a super awesome friend. We had a chat that totally lifted my spirits and reminded me of all the things I managed to forget over the past few months.

Life is good.

If you had asked me last week when I would be THIS happy, I would've probably said, "Not for a while." Yes, life has thrown some incredibly difficult things at me lately. I've dealt with illness in the family (several, actually), difficulty with schoolwork, coming to terms with my own laziness and attempting to overcome said laziness, learning who my real friends are, figuring out life after Baldwin-Wallace, and some doubts about my faith here and there. But I got through it. Even when I thought I couldn't, somehow, little glints of what was to come kept me going. And then there are days like today. Days that make everything worth it. Days that make you realize that life is beautiful.

There. One big mess of a blog. But, before I end this mess of words, I shall discuss The Contrast.


It was a short little play, a relatively easy read, with traditional themes and nothing too out of the ordinary. Originality was lacking, and the characters were a bit too predictable. They fit into their roles almost too well, stereotypically well. But, the theme of 'inelegant goodness vs. polished deceit' was refreshing. The good characters, despite their lack of education, of worldliness, of (at times) class, still emerged victorious. If only the world always worked that way. If only the good were blessed with good in return. The world doesn't always spin so perfectly as to allow this reciprocal relationship, but I am reassured to know that, in the end of ends, the good will be rewarded for their goodness, no matter how inelegant.

I would also like to muse about several other topics. I won't go into great detail now - I am more concerned with posing the questions to myself (and to all of you). After the questions are put on the table, I will run off and think about them for a few days before I come back and give my answer. So, without further adieu...

1. Does breaking societal norms cause corruption, or is it a result of being previously corrupted?
2. If you have always been part of a group, and your identity is formed as a 'group member,' how difficult would it be to establish yourself as an individual, outside of the group? Is it even possible?

And, with that mess of words (with all due respect, I did warn you), I am off to read for Psychology. Goodnight, world. Thank you for a fantastic day.

~ Gina Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment