Saturday, July 2, 2011

Another Big Lots! Anecdote

As I was cashiering today, a woman handed me a check as payment. With checks, I'm required to ask for an ID to verify the customer's identity. So I went ahead and asked. Very kindly, the woman agreed and handed me an ID. I went to type her license number into the computer, and that was when I noticed something odd. A green-faced woman with wiry hair and a black, pointy hat was in the picture. And sure enough, right at the top: The Wicked Witch of the West.

I turned to give her a bewildered stare to notice her laughing under her breath. My apparent confusion must've pushed her over the edge, because her giggles then became audible. I felt my face break into a smile and I, too, began to laugh. Nervously at first, then with relief as I saw her fishing around for her real ID.

"You confused the heck out of me!" I exclaimed, at which point she gave me her driver's license. "Just thought you could use a laugh," she said, still smiling.

I didn't tell her, but it made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment