Saturday, February 9, 2013

happily ever after

Growing up in the glory days of Disney movies, I learned from a young age that love was a happily ever after deal. That no matter what happened in the story--no matter how many bumps along the road--love was the ending. The princess would wake up from her cursed slumber, the prince would return the missing glass slipper, the beast would turn human again... all for love. And then the words "The End" would roll across the screen and I'd be sitting there with sparkling, little eyes and a thumping heart dreaming of my own happily ever after.

And now I've found it.


It's not entirely like those Disney movies. The first reason being, of course, there have been several princes throughout the years. They've come and gone without a happily ever after. I had to try a few on for size before I found my very own Prince Charming. The second reason being this is not the end. There are no closing credits rolling to a romantic string quartet. And I'm left thinking, What now? How do I love someone forever?

You know what I think the answer is? By loving him now.

Forever started the moment I met him. Forever starts every day I wake up and am still his. Forever begins anew each time we kiss. Forever exists this very moment. We are living in it, always. And so I will love him today, tomorrow, and forever.

It's not hard to do. David is the most incredible man I have ever met. He's always the first to say "sorry," and he makes me laugh even when I just want to punch him in the face. He's not afraid to cry. He appreciates and seeks after beauty in all forms. He helps me to think more rationally, calms me when I'm anxious, and loves me even when I feel unlovable. He sees me for not only who I am now, but who I can become, and who we can become together. He's confident and strong and kind. And the way he loves me... it's terrifying and beautiful, all at once.

I'm the luckiest girl in the world to call him my fiancé.

So thanks, Disney, for introducing me to happily ever after. I guess it's my turn now to discover exactly what a happily ever after is. I think this is a pretty good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment