I blow things entirely out of proportion when I’m alone, convincing myself that my problems are the end all, be all, and that my friends don’t care about me, that they’re better off without me. As soon as one person reaches out to me, I feel significantly better. But as soon as that person leaves, or the conversation ends, I sink back into my own fears. Being alone is to allow myself to perpetuate those fears without a rational outsider’s perspective.Don't get me wrong, being alone isn't always like this. Being alone can be rather nice, when I choose to be apart, separate. It gives me time to think, to appreciate beauty, to be myself without external pressure to "fit in." But when being alone is not a choice but a necessity, I feel abandoned and start dwelling on all I perceive to be wrong. Being in the midst of a particularly trying period also makes being alone particularly unbearable.
So... is this fear of being alone something to overcome or something I must learn to live with? How do I overcome or learn to live with it? Do I constantly surround myself with others to avoid irrationality? Would that be ignoring my problem or transcending it? Is this inherently a problem? Does it only become a problem when it impedes me from helping others? Does it only become a problem when I become a burden to others?
Eternal questions, most without concrete answers: the curse (read: blessing) of being a Religion student. I'm open to your opinions and admissions of fears, dear Readers.
Sounds like last night. I'm astounded at how often you blog what I'm feeling.
ReplyDeleteSolidarity. :) I'm glad I could be there to make you less alone, if only for a while and only through the interwebs. I didn't say it, but I was also feeling alone last night, and naturally you helped a great deal. Thank you.
Delete