Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Nostalgia Part Two

Another powerful statement written by the January version of Gina.

I wear it on my finger every day. A symbol of who I have become, and who I should be. Who I will become.

Palmyra, New York. The location of purchase. It was an ordinary day, nothing special, one would assume. Nothing special for the world. But for me, it was special. Far from ordinary. It was the day I first slipped it onto my finger and felt its weight in every breath I took.

We drove away from the store, and I stared at it. I wiggled my fingers and raised my hand before my eyes to examine it. It was gleaming in the light, its silver band reminding me of the decision I had to make, but also of the peace I felt.

The pink, in the shape of a shield. Symbolic of the safety that comes in choosing the right. Not only physically, but spiritually. Choosing the right meant protecting yourself from harm, but it also meant securing yourself a position in the kingdom of God.

Securing. Secure.

It’s been taken off and put back on several times. I’ve taken it for granted, abused its symbolic power, and laughed at it. I’ve been ashamed of it, and it’s been ashamed of me.

But in the end, I earned it back. And now, I wear it proudly, those silver letters smiling at me each morning as I wake up, each night as I slip between the covers and worthily feel its coldness against my skin.

What it is, is a ring. What it means, is eternal salvation.

And those silver letters, CTR. They aren’t just letters. They are a command, a plea. A way of life.

All of this, wrapped around my finger.

~ Gina Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment