Sunday, July 4, 2010

Emma

I am thoroughly ashamed. It is but July, yet already I hang my head in shame of defeat. The year-long reading challenge for which I signed up back in January has claimed victory over me. I have no excuse. Only self-condemnation for being so very lazy.

Ah well, enough of my pity party. Here is Book Number Six.

Emma by Jane Austen

Yes, it was long. Yes, parts were tedious. And yes, I do not speak the language of Georgian England.

Regardless, I must relay to you the absolute love and adoration I have for this book and its author. It is referred to, time and again, as Jane Austen's most perfect novel... and I will gladly sign my name on the list of those who have uttered this exact phrase.

Now, I've read (and thoroughly enjoyed) Pride and Prejudice. It is her most known novel for a very valid reason - it is well plotted, the characters are complex, the themes still apply to our world today, the love story is compelling, Darcy is swoon-worthy. But Emma... Emma had all of this and more. It has a very flawed main character, who pulls off perfection despite her imperfection (for the record, I didn't think it was possible either). There is a larger depth of emotion, characters with elaborate backstories and a wide breadth of feeling. The undercurrent of plot carried along at a much more relaxing, steady pace.

Through Emma Jane Austen once again achieves the commendable feat of turning the every day into something magical. What more could you ask for, you say? My answer is this: Not much.

I'm sure you've heard the age-old question, "If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would it be?" I'm also sure that, after reading this blog, your guess as to my answer will be quite educated.

*sigh* Classics...

No comments:

Post a Comment