After spending two months in the wonderful city of Provo, Utah, I am beginning to dread my flight home in just two short weeks. I've done a lot of reflecting in the past few days, and the following are snapshots of the memories that have been spinning endlessly in my mind...
Hiking the Y. What I thought would be a torturous hour and a half turned out to be an absolute blast. I conquered my fears (with a little coaxing) and it felt great. And the view from the top, sprawled upside down, the city lights transformed into stars... indescribable. We were on top of the world.

Floating down the Provo River with my whole apartment. We had intended for a lazy ride, but slowly learned that we had signed up for a stressful hour of avoiding rocks, branches and rapids... not to mention the water nearly at freezing temperature. But, in the end, the scenery and the company put smiles on our faces.

Visiting the temple. At the beginning of the summer, we made it a goal to visit all 13 in Utah. Although we haven't, and will not, acheive our goal, simply setting it was enough. Through our many temple trips, our bonds as friends have increased and our relationships with Heavenly Father have strengthened.

Road trip to Idaho, to visit BYU-I. With car games, snacks, laughter, and Dramamine galore, it was a fun-filled trip that I will never forget. Visiting places that my friends had lived, walking in their footsteps, was an experience I could not pass up. And the free t-shirt wasn't so bad either.

Reading the scriptures with my friends. We had a good run, reading every night and witnessing the blessings that came from our dedication. Sharing in God's word with close friends is an experience that can't quite be explained, merely felt with all the warmth of remembrance. I'll never forget those nights.

Stadium of Fire with Carrie Underwood. It was a teary hour of celebration, commemorating America's valiant past and all those who helped to make us free. Carrie Underwood was a treat, and her rendition of How Great Thou Art really hit home. And in conclusion, a brilliant fireworks display to rival all others I've seen thus far.
Hiking the Y. What I thought would be a torturous hour and a half turned out to be an absolute blast. I conquered my fears (with a little coaxing) and it felt great. And the view from the top, sprawled upside down, the city lights transformed into stars... indescribable. We were on top of the world.

Floating down the Provo River with my whole apartment. We had intended for a lazy ride, but slowly learned that we had signed up for a stressful hour of avoiding rocks, branches and rapids... not to mention the water nearly at freezing temperature. But, in the end, the scenery and the company put smiles on our faces.

Visiting the temple. At the beginning of the summer, we made it a goal to visit all 13 in Utah. Although we haven't, and will not, acheive our goal, simply setting it was enough. Through our many temple trips, our bonds as friends have increased and our relationships with Heavenly Father have strengthened.
Road trip to Idaho, to visit BYU-I. With car games, snacks, laughter, and Dramamine galore, it was a fun-filled trip that I will never forget. Visiting places that my friends had lived, walking in their footsteps, was an experience I could not pass up. And the free t-shirt wasn't so bad either.

Reading the scriptures with my friends. We had a good run, reading every night and witnessing the blessings that came from our dedication. Sharing in God's word with close friends is an experience that can't quite be explained, merely felt with all the warmth of remembrance. I'll never forget those nights.

Stadium of Fire with Carrie Underwood. It was a teary hour of celebration, commemorating America's valiant past and all those who helped to make us free. Carrie Underwood was a treat, and her rendition of How Great Thou Art really hit home. And in conclusion, a brilliant fireworks display to rival all others I've seen thus far.

World-record-breaking water balloon fight. Brutal, yes. Enjoyable, also a yes. It was one of those things you never forget, a benefit that comes from being in the right place at the right time. Energy was high, water balloons were in great supply, and I was soaked within seconds. Bruises well earned, and well worth it.

Night walks, with a myriad of interesting people. It made for great conversation, and a great deal of wonderful memories. Talking with people and really listening to them speak is something so enriching, something so special. Each story was a little spark, and when combined they illuminated minds.

Watching LOST with my apartment, and, inevitably, harboring a slight obsession. Marathons ensued, as did a week or two of spontaneous, creative outbursts. Plots that well-crafted sure do offer a great deal of food for thought, which, in turn, fed my needy Muse with (near) endless inspiration. Hats off to the writers; you've given me hope.
There's so much more I can say about this summer, but I'd rather not. I'd rather keep it inside, tucked away, where it can be safe from the harsh glare of the public eye. It's a part of me now... this city, the people in it, the spirit found here. I've changed, and that's enough.
Here's to a great last two weeks. I'll make them count.
No comments:
Post a Comment