Friday, July 30, 2010

The Hunger Games

I am tired and my mind is mush, but I must blog about my most recent read... (Wow, that sounded a bit too much like a robot)

Where do I even begin? Oh, I know! With a title and author. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I jumped on the bandwaggon a bit late with this one, seeing as the final installment will be here in just 26 days. The hype will end just as I'm beginning. But that's alright with me. I'm content to have found this book regardless of timing.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it's been over a year since a book has held my attention with such tenacity as this book did. It's one of those books that makes you forget and remember all at the same time. It's the only company you want even when you find yourself surrounded by friends. You can feel it breathing along with you as you turn each page, inhaling the scent of terror, of suspense, and of intrigue.

There I go again. Over-dramatic me.

So here's the deal. I loved it. It's a Young Adult book, but it trascends generations to be appealing to anyone, be they young or old. Even a fan of the verbose classic can find something worthwhile in The Hunger Games. I highly recommend it if you want interesting, believable characters, a plot with enough twists and turns to get you good and lost, a unique and realistic world that could very well be just around the corner, and a love story that is equal parts confusing and intriguing.

Now I'm off to read the second installment, Catching Fire. I've heard it's better than the first, which is a mighty compliment. I sincerely hope it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment