Friday, August 20, 2010

Isabella Swan: Example?

Did you ever think that maybe Stephenie Meyer meant to make Bella an insufferable, whiny, pathetic weakling of a girl? That Miss Swan was actually meant to serve some sort of higher purpose, other than for us to laugh at and ridicule for her shoddy characterization?

I'll give you a second to ponder. I know it's hard to grasp.

...

No, really. Consider it.

Maybe we shouldn't be ridiculing Meyer for creating a completely unrealistic, laughably ridiculous character. We should start praising her for bringing to life such an over-dramatized character which was not only for entertainment purposes, but also as an example of what not to become, establishing a model (for the uninformed few) of why the 20+ world hates teenagers. Perhaps it's time we raise Stephenie Meyer up on a platform and offer up our gratitude for an author who makes us take a good, hard look at ourselves... who helps us to reevaluate exactly who we are and emerge the better for it!

Maybe Stephenie Meyer is a new kind of genius!

... But probably not.

And now, presenting a series of quotes I like to call The Woes of a Teenager in Lust.

"I was like a lost moon—my planet destroyed in some cataclysmic, disaster-movie scenario of desolation—that continued, nevertheless, to circle in a tight little orbit around the empty space left behind, ignoring the laws of gravity."
-- Bella Swan, New Moon, Chapter 9, p.201

"One thing I truly knew—knew it in the pit of my stomach, in the center of my bones, knew it from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, knew it deep in my empty chest—was how love gave someone the power to break you."
-- Bella Swan, New Moon, Chapter 9, p.219

"Life seemed dark enough at the moment that I let myself cheat. The hole—holes now—were already aching, so why not? I pulled out the memory—nor a real memory that would hurt too much, but the false memory of Edward’s voice in my mind this afternoon—and played it over and over in my head until I fell asleep with the tears still streaming calmly down my empty face."
-- Bella Swan, New Moon, Chapter 11, p.276

No comments:

Post a Comment