Sunday, August 22, 2010

Plus Two

I have come to blog about my progress in the 50 Book Challenge. This may be my happiest entry yet, as I have two books to gush about. Yes, that's right, I've finished two books in three(ish) days!

HOORAY!!!!!!

Too bad I'm still going to fail.

Anyway... Book #8: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins!

If you recall my blog about The Hunger Games, you must be (im)patiently waiting for me to answer the absolutely crucial, life-altering question that I had posed. So, to save you from wetting yourself in all the excitement... yes, this book was better than the first in the series. Allow me to explain my reasoning in bullet points (they're oh so fun!).

● The characters were easier to get attached to. And there were more of them to love.
● There were more moments in which you could relax and fall into the flow of the story. As in, it felt more evenly paced, more like real life.
● There were more twists and turns. And they were more unpredictable.
● The plot. Need I say more.
● The ending. OH MY CLIFFHANGER. But it was all so brilliantly planned and executed that I couldn't be angry for being thrown so unexpectedly/violently.

Yes, I believe that about encapsulates my feelings on the matter. Also - not sure if this should be added to the list, it's more of a speculation than anything else - I can't for the life of me decide who to root for as far as romantic interests for Katniss go. I wish more than anything to buy my Team (insert name here) shirt and wave a banner with her Prince Charming's face on it. But I can't decide... Both Gale and Peeta are so, well, fitting.

I'm such a girl.

To finish, I must say... I cannot wait for the final installment! With all the turmoil thrown at me in the final few pages, I am absolutely biting my nails in anticipation. I need resolution! I need to know that my friends the characters will all make it out okay! No, really.

Now, Book #9: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keys.

I just finished this one shortly before starting this blog, and I've got the tear-stained cheeks and puffy eyes to proof it. It was a tear-jerker. Combine that with a sensitive soul (like mine) and you get waterworks.

But wow. I mean, really. This was a great read. I'm not just saying that because it was powerfully emotional, so vivid and real. Or because it was based on an experiment in psychology (one of my passions). Or because it was such a sensitive portrayal of a likable character's journey through trials. Or because the language was phenomenal.

I'm saying it because all of those things were present. I'm so grateful for the friend who recommended this to me. It really made me think about my own life, about what a blessing it is to have intelligence, to be able to read and acquire knowledge, to constantly grow in understanding of the world and of my place within it.

I will leave you with the summary on the back cover, as well as my gentle nudge in the direction of the nearest bookstore or library to pick up a copy.

Charlie Gordon is about to embark on an unprecedented journey. Born with an unusually low IQ, he has been chosen as the perfect subject for an experimental surgery that researchers hope will increase his intelligence - a procedure that has already been highly successful when tested on a lab mouse named Algernon.

As the treatment takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment appears to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance until Algernon suddenly deteriorates. Will the same happen to Charlie?

1 comment: