I don't think I've ever had a more enjoyable time writing a paper than I have writing my 35 pager on Thomas Merton. It's a combination of the subject and the process. Watching a paper morph and myself gain fervor throughout a semester has been wonderful. Also, Thomas Merton is an inexhaustible receptacle of life-altering and inspirational advice. An example:
“The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.” - Thomas Merton
I've certainly emerged a better person through taking this seminar. One of the things I've learned (among countless other lessons), is how to better love my fellow men. I hope to meet Merton one day. And I hope to befriend him, because he is surely close to God.
No comments:
Post a Comment