Tuesday, April 9, 2013

in addition

imperfect [ɪmˈpɜːfɪkt]
adj
not complete or finished


This is my favorite definition of imperfect. It doesn't mention flaws or weaknesses; it speaks, instead, of a work in progress.

We are all imperfect. Now, I have come to terms with my imperfection (mostly... I still have my days), but it is not so with much of the world. It seems most are still consumed with the first definition of imperfect: exhibiting or characterized by faults, mistakes, etc. Sure, we all have faults and mistakes. We are all deficient in some way. But it is because we are yet unfinished--we are all a work in progress.

There is beauty in imperfection. There is beauty in the fact that we always have the opportunity to become better. Always. And perhaps even more beautiful is the promise that we will be perfect one day: perfectly complete and perfectly whole in the arms of our Maker.

But for now, I rejoice in my imperfection. I think it is one of the most beautiful things about me, and about you, and about all of us. We're all imperfect, and we're all in this together.

Be kind to yourself. Your story has only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment