The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - ☆☆☆☆
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green - ☆☆½
Matched by Ally Condie - ☆☆☆☆
Crossed by Ally Condie - ☆☆☆
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - ☆☆☆☆☆
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - ☆☆☆½
The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides - ☆☆☆☆☆
I could put my usual snippet in here to give you a taste of the "best of" this novel, but I'm finding that nearly impossible, for two reasons. The first is that my favorite quotes taken out of context would seem to the non-reader almost like stepping in mid-conversation (as Eugenides is brilliant at adding those little details and quirks that set everything on fire). The second is that, regrettably, I can't copy the entire novel into one blog post, and I would be remiss to choose only one, small quote for a "teaser."
So what am I saying? Stated simply, READ THIS BOOK.
The three main characters include a recently-graduated English major and Yale reject, in love with Victorian novels and the idea of marriage; a recently-graduated Religious Studies major who obsessively recites the Jesus prayer and is traveling the world on less than $10 a day to find himself and possibly God; and a should have been recently-graduated manic-depressive pseudo-scientist who pets his depression like a dependent pet. And each of these three happens to be in love with at least one other of the three.
But wait! Don't stick up your nose at what appears to smell like petty, college drama. It's quite the contrary.
Eugenides gracefully and authentically handles mental illness, hopeless/unhealthy romance, faith, and the struggle to find oneself. He offers subtle (never overwhelming or moralized) insight and portrays even the most flawed characters with sensitivity.
I'm hesitant to call this book my favorite just yet, when I'm still recovering from my "just finished hangover." For now, I'm content to add it to my top five (maybe three... maybe one).
READ THIS BOOK.
No comments:
Post a Comment