I ADORE YOU. THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK.
I don't know what I did differently today. I woke up late, like any other morning. Rolled out of bed, went to class (granted, it was Creative Writing), took a nap, chatted with friends, went to Lip Sync practice/dress rehearsal, got dinner with two lovely Zetas, and wrote. And wrote. And wrote. I only wrote for about an hour and a half, when you combine all the fifteen minute breaks I took in between my busy life, but I got a TON accomplished compared to yesterday.
And I feel grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
I don't really know if I developed anything. The plot is still eh and the characters are still just dancing around brilliance but not really finding it. Yet I feel good. The words flowed and I'm introducing characters that I didn't know existed and AHHHH! I love writing.
Stats:
Words Written Today: 2,043
Total Words Written: 10,540
Words Left: 39,460
Days Remaining: 26
Snippets:
1.
[ I LOVE THEM. And no, not because they are a romantic interest in the story, because in reality they aren't, but because they are forming a real friendship even though they are - literally - from different worlds. ]
“I want to go home,” she whimpered, not daring to open her eyes.
“Sweetheart, you are home.”
Before she knew what was happening, Meyer’s strong arms gathered her into his chest, pressing her cheek into the soft fabric of his shirt. He smelled like coffee and something else, something distinctly spicy – perhaps cologne. Her muscles remained stiff for a while, until his hands began rubbing circles into her back, slowly, hesitantly at first, and then with more confidence, until Bonnie felt the tears slide from her eyes, dampening his shirt. She nestled herself against him, letting herself fall into the curve of his chest, their knees knocking together as she leaned into his soothing warmth.
If nothing else, Bonnie felt gratitude. Her heart did not flutter nor her chest ignite with the bubbly infatuation shown so poignantly in her romance flicks. She wasn’t about to reject a lifeboat to spend the final few minutes aboard a sinking Titanic with him. But for that moment, sitting in a kitchen she didn’t recognize, in a town with a too-bright sky and too-perfect clouds and no birds, this felt almost real.
[ I LOVE THEM. And no, not because they are a romantic interest in the story, because in reality they aren't, but because they are forming a real friendship even though they are - literally - from different worlds. ]
2.
As they worked, Patrick and Bonnie shared occasional bursts of conversation. They spoke of movies – which were their favorites and why. Patrick named so many obscure movies, titles she’d never heard of, and he seemed completely baffled by her favorite, Titanic. They laughed it over, threw dirt at each other, counted the bees, and made a game out of pulling weeds. Whomever could pull the longest weed won, while the loser had to make lemonade for the winner when all was said and done. As the hour waned, Bonnie had pulled the winning weed.
“You got me, cuz,” he admitted. “No more weeds to pull.”
“Cuz?”
“It’s short for cousin?”
For some reason, the fact that they were ‘related’ didn’t surprise her.
“You said that like a question,” she jested, taking another look at this Patrick to try to fit him into this new category he’d created, the category labeled Family.
Patrick chuckled. He began gathering the tools they had used, tossing them into a metal box that was paint splattered and dented. Well used. She watched his face as he worked, looking for any indication as to whether or not he sensed anything strange about this situation, whether he realized that he did not do this “every Thursday,” and that they were not, in fact, cousins. But nothing in the set of his pronounced jaw indicated tension. Nothing in his rather striking, almond-shaped eyes hinted at confusion. He seemed perfectly calm, as though this day was as any other before it.
“Pat?” she began. He turned to her immediately, his expression neutral, indicating that she had guessed his nickname. “When I say ‘Seaford, Virginia,’ you say…?”
[ Here is an example of a character I didn't know existed - Patrick. He's a spunky kid and I like their dynamics together. Bonnie clearly feels comfortable enough around him to bring up her hometown, and they just met today. Ah, lovely. ]
Such a good day of writing! And I'm still so far ahead! I LOVE NANOWRIMO. And for the first time in three years, I won't have to write a ridiculous amount in the last week. HOORAY!
NaNo Blessings and Love and Joy and Gratitude,
Gina
No comments:
Post a Comment