Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day Three

Dear NaNo Monster,

I don't like you.

But really, I'm most definitely losing steam already. Today wasn't quite as bad as yesterday because I'm back to character development/interaction instead of a big group scene in which I have to keep everyone in check. I'd much rather develop a character than develop the plot. This I have come to realize.

Also, I did not write the required 1,667 words today, which is both disappointing and okay at the same time. I probably could have gotten there in between my four classes (one of them being three hours long), but for some reason, I'm feeling sick/tired/my eyes are BURNING and I just didn't feel like writing. I'm surprised I got anything done, to be honest.

Also also, I'm proud of myself for 1) not answering the door TWICE when I heard knocking, and 2) smacking my inner-editor in the face and being rewarded with some beautiful writing. Ha!

Stats:
Words Written Today: 1,172
Total Words Written: 8,497
Words Left: 41,503
Days Remaining: 27

Snippet:
1.
“Is something wrong, Olivia?”
Bonnie threw her hands up in exasperation.

“Of course something’s wrong! How many times do I have to tell you that I’m not Olivia?”

A charged silence shot between them, like a string made of lightening, holding the two in position yet pulling them inexplicably closer all the while.

It was Meyer who cut the string. He crossed the length of the room, dragged the unused chair toward her, and sat down, his hands on his knees, leaning in close.

“Tell me,” he began, his voice slow and deliberate. “Where do you think your home is?”

Slowly, feeling the weight of every word as it left her tongue, Bonnie replied, “Seaford, Virginia. In the house that belonged to my grandparents. It’s right off the corner of Maybury and Cabriolet.”

Meyer’s eyes grew momentarily distant, as though the person had gone from behind them, and then quickly flashed back to scrutinizing, regaining all of their power.

“Virginia is our next door neighbor,” he replied slowly, exaggerating each syllable.

“Virginia is a state.”

“A state?”

The temperature in the room instantly plunged; Bonnie felt a chill race down the length of her spine, sending ice trailing down her arms and legs.

“Yes, Meyer. There are fifty of them. We are in America, aren’t we?”

Her words rang with surety, but as she saw them hit Meyer, saw the shift in his expression, saw her meaning alter as it was translated back to her, she began to question why she had spoken at all
.

[ Dun dun DUN! ]

And that is all for Day Three. Thankfully I have only one class tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to redeem myself. I'm incredibly grateful to whomever suggested I go for 5K on day one, because I'd be behind now if it weren't for that bit of wisdom.

NaNo Blessings,
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment