I believe I used to think that way because I'd always seen complacence and contentment as being synonymous, but that is far from the truth. Being complacent means "to be content and satisfied with your life and surroundings, even when something which may destroy these conditions is imminent." Complacence goes beyond simple contentment. Complacence says, "I'm a great person and I can't get any better, so I don't have to do any more." This is dangerous. We can't think that our spiritual high today will get us through the hard times tomorrow. Faith, our testimonies, our education, these things are transient if we do not persistently work to strengthen them.
We should not become complacent with where we are now. But we should be content. Strive for contentment always, for the sense of accomplishment each night as we lay down to sleep and think of a day well spent.

I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. - Phillipians 4:11
No comments:
Post a Comment