As I happily allow my Archuleta addiction to run it's course, I have been toting my iPod - complete with both of David's CDs - around wherever I go. I've plugged my old, 1980's cassette adapter (that is miraculously compatible with Apple products) into my car to blast David on the way to and from work, which is a 30-minute commute each way. I listen on the way to visit friends, dentist appointments, running errands, Half Price Books trips. Everywhere. I haven't really listened to the actual radio in what seems weeks. When I do turn it on, I don't recognize some of the songs, which is a rare occurrence for me. It's been a while since I haven't been up to date with the Top 40.
Big deal, you say. Why is a David Archuleta obsession blog-worthy?
Okay, I'll level with you. In some ways, it's not. Everyone has their favorite artists, everyone goes through phases of musical addiction. This happens to be one of mine. Now that that's out in the open, I'll tell you why you're not wasting your time reading this...
The reason this is blog-worthy, the "moral of the story" if you will, is the difference listening to David's music has made in my life. His music is so pure, so uplifting, so wholesome, that I have found its echoes in my day-to-day life. I am happier, yes, but also more willing to share my happiness. I am more willing to forgive, more able to see the bright side. Life seems more livable. And now, when I do turn on the radio, I am slightly appalled by the material permitted to stream through the airwaves and into my car's speakers. I find myself switching channels continuously, as every other song played is offensive in some way, which is frustrating enough that the radio is off and David back on within minutes.
It was a gradual change, one I didn't see midway. But now, as I gaze back at the there and enjoy the here, I don't want to go back. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. I can guarantee that you'll surprise yourself with the results.

Does this mean I've swapped Davids? Not quite. I could never give up my Cook. It's a good thing his music is equally as pure, or I would be faced with a true dilemma.
Alma 37:6 :
No comments:
Post a Comment