"It’s like three empty film canisters stacked on your kitchen counter. Woefully remembering scenes that they once contained. Destined to become containers for miscellaneous trinkets. The film they once knew is long gone. Processed by unfamiliar hands and developed within an hour. Only to be packaged and set away, destined themselves for a dust-laden motionless eternity.
It’s like a twist-tie on a bread bag. Full of purpose and direction, keeping the bag tight and the bread fresh day after day. Except each day there is yet another slice missing. Each day that twist-tie moves closer to the end of the bag. Until soon the bag is empty and the twist-tie, valiant guardian that he is, now worthless. Tossed, of course, his services no longer needed.
It’s like those shoe boxes stacked in your closet. Once filled with youthful determination, housing promise and excitement. Now they sit empty and waiting for another purpose. As each new pair is bought a new box is stacked with the collection, until no free space remains and the boxes start getting thrown away. The lucky ones that are allowed to stay sit silent. Yet the longer they sit the more boxes get piled on top, crushing them and deforming them, until they no longer resemble the proud box they once were.
It’s like we spend our lives fighting something that we will never beat. All we can do is postpone the inevitable destruction. We are replaceable, tossed as soon as we grow old. Years from now we won’t even be remembered, yet alone exist. I cannot resist though, as these bricks fall past my head, I pick each up and put it back again. I’ll keep it up until the end.
It’s when we keep on fighting, in the face of complete despair, that we truly shine."- Ryan Amery
Thursday, June 16, 2011
I didn't write this. But I'm sharing because it's achingly beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment